Southern Runway Rehabilitation Programme
(April 16 – May 30, 2019)
· Runway resurfacing is a common occurrence with airports around the world.
However, as Dubai International (DXB) offers airlines a 24/7 operation,
runway closures are more complex and must be meticulously planned.
· On an average, DXB handles 1,100 aircraft movements per day featuring
predominantly wide-body aircraft. While ongoing runway maintenance is
scheduled on a weekly basis, more extensive upgrades require a complete
closure of the runway.
· DXB southern runway (12R-30L) is nearing the end of its design life and
will require complete resurfacing and replacement of the airfield ground
lighting and supporting infrastructure.
· Dubai Airports plans to close DXB’s southern runway for a 45-day period
from April 16 to May 30 2019, to conduct a comprehensive upgrade to boost
safety, service and capacity levels.
· To limit the impact on service, the project has been scheduled during a
period when passenger traffic historically ebbs due to seasonal lull.
· Dubai Airports has provided additional advance notice to all airlines to
plan for the flight reductions and schedule planning.
· Airlines will be required to reduce their operations at DXB during the
45-day period due to the significant capacity reduction resulting from
single runway operations.
· In terms of flight movements, the reduction in capacity is estimated at
this point to be approximately 43% during the 45-day period.
· Dubai World Central (DWC) will be an available alternative to absorb
affected scheduled flights as well as charter, cargo and general aviation
· The southern runway refurbishment project will involve the placement of
approximately 60,000 tonnes of asphalt and 8,000m3 of concrete
to strengthen and resurface the runway and the adjacent taxiways.
· Some 800 km of primary cables will be installed and over 5,500 runway
lights will be replaced with more modern, economic and environmentally
friendly technology as part of the project.
· DXB’s northern runway underwent a similar refurbishment programme in
· Dubai Airports had formed several operational and planning groups and
task forces involving people from across stakeholder groups to ensure
smooth transition and operations throughout the programme at both airports.
· DXB Runways Quick Facts
Northern runway: 4,000m by 60m
Southern runway: 4.500m by 60m